Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Echelman, TED, and Harris

Artist Janet Echelman display in Vancouver
Hello Friends! Many of you know that Skookum’s Little Free Library was funded through Kickstarter in 2013. Since our campaign, I have been following this crowdfunding site and the many projects that the platform supports. Recently I came across an article and video on artist Janet Echelman’s goal to display one of her pieces at the TED (Technology, Entertainment, and Design) conference in Vancouver:


I was thrilled to hear that her work was successfully installed and headed into the city to view it in person:

As I stood underneath this handwoven net, I thought of one of my favourite childhood books Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.  While watching the fabric move with the wind, I imagined this massive strainer dangling in the sky ready to snatch spaghetti, syrup drenched pancakes, hotdogs garnished with mustard, and tomato and basil pizza. I caught this flying flatbread at Tableau Bar & Bistro:

While observing Echelman's piece in its natural element, I headed over to the Vancouver Convention Centre where TED is currently being hosted. I’ve been following the development of TED since its inception in 1990. Originally held in Monterey, California, the conference has gained in popularity attracting intellectuals, movie stars, and politicians. As a result, the ticket prices have soared to $7500 and up! The dark-suited men behind me are TED security so this is as close as I could get to speakers Chris Hadfield, Bill & Melinda Gates, and Sting:





Good news though! TED is being streamed live throughout Vancouver and the Lower Mainland for free! For more information on TED and to view it live, visit here. I also visited the Vancouver Art Gallery’s exhibit of Lawren Stewart Harris. I was introduced to his work at the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa. Harris is a member of Canada’s Group of Seven and his breathtaking landscapes are a reminder of the natural beauty that surrounds us:





On Sundays, children 12 and under are free to attend the Vancouver Art Gallery. The gallery also hosts  a variety of family activities and events during the weekends. Check it out if you are in town! After a full day, I arrived home and noticed this wonderful comment left in Skookum’s Guest Book:





You're very welcome! I’m so glad to hear that you are enjoying Skookum’s book selection!

Cheers,

Jacqueline

No comments:

Post a Comment